Sunday, June 19, 2005

Alphabet Song.

So I was watching The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance yesterday, and a bunch of children were singing the alphabet song. You know, "A B C D E F G / H I J K L M N O P / Q R S / T U V / W X / Y and Z..." Only they added a few extra "ands." And they ended the song with "now I know my ABCs / tell me what you think of me."

When I learned the song, it ended with "next time won't you sing with me." So I thought that was odd. Then I remembered back to an episode of The Simpsons called "Duffless" that aired during Season 4. Homer is pulled over, after visiting the Duff brewery, for suspicion of drunk driving. And he ends the song with "won't you come and play with me." And Lou responds "we also would have accepted 'tell me what you think of me.' " Which is what the kids in Liberty Valance sang.

So after extensive research, I've discovered that the first copyrighted version of the song--in 1834, under the name "The Schoolmaster," by a gentleman named Bradlee--used the "tell me what you think of me" ending. Am I the only one that finds this version bizarre?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home