Thursday, July 07, 2005

London calling.

Today's bombings in London really bothered me. More so than the explosions that have killed thousands in Iraq since someone had the bright idea of creating another anarchist state. Why?

I can't imagine my history with Transportation Alternatives would have tipped the scales. I couldn't possibly be so shallow as to increase the impact of an event based on a mass transit system's involvement. Could I?

I suppose it could simply be a latent--or not so latent--racist tendency to value Anglo lives more than Arabs.

But I think what really bothered me about the London bombings was the indiscriminate targeting.

Let's say you've got this guy whose wife is really bugging him. It is bad when he hits her. She didn't deserve it. But how much worse is it when he goes out in the street pissed off and hits a total stranger? At least the wife was involved.

The terrorists who target police stations and military camps and ambassadors from Egypt are not exactly my favorite people. But they'll win the C. Raymond Taylor Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence compared to those guys who don't even bother to figure out who they are mad at. Or tell anyone why they're mad.

I usually respect laziness; there's a certain ethos there that occasionally brings a "Yay Plucky!" moment to fruition. But laziness and violence don't mix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home