Wednesday, December 01, 2004

IMDb, 2004.

While I realize we only just beached December, I thought I'd look at the top-rated films on IMDb. Just for shits and giggles. Now IDMb doesn't actually compile individual years. [They do compile decades, like the 90s, which, interestingly enough, is topped by The Shawshank Redemption; good for you, Tim Robbins.] So I had to get creative with their PowerSearch. First glance, I'd never heard of most of the top films. Why? They are little seen foreign films of little significance, skewed to the top by too few voters. So I limited my power search to only those with at least 2000 votes. The top ten films of 2004, according to IMDb voters, are:

  1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  2. Garden State
  3. Before Sunset
  4. Finding Neverland
  5. The Incredibles
  6. Kill Bill: Vol. 2
  7. Ray
  8. The Motorcycle Diaries
  9. Spider-Man 2
  10. Shaun of the Dead

I'm willing to bet that the Academy ignores half of these completely in major categories. Does this mean the Academy is stupid? Or that IMDb voters are stupid? Yes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home