Wednesday, August 11, 2004

On the Road

I left New Jersey on Sunday. I spent the first night about two hours east of Nashville in a Comfort Inn. I was drawn to the Comfort Inn by its billboard on the highway, promising a $39.99 room and "HI SPEED INTERNET." As it turns out, the room--the cheapest in the very vacant hotel--was $62.98 with the AAA discount. I love negative discounts. And the Internet access was not sensibly available to those with a wireless card (like myself), but instead only available to those with an Ethernet card (which I have) and a cable (which I neglected to bring along). A bit upset, I did nothing, like the pussy that I am.

Second day of driving was more leisurely, involving a stopover in Memphis, at the fairly good zoo and driving its pretty streets, and another stopover in Little Rock. Little Rock is a run down, but still glorious city. Arkansas surprised me at being flat and rather swampy, in a bayouish manner (complete with trees with knees taking a bath). Stayed at off-the-highway hotel, advertised at $28.99 and run by a tiny Indian woman. A little more worse-for-wear than the Comfort Inn, I still preferred it; at least it charged as advertised.

Third day brought me into Texas. I know people that get a bit fearful when they enter a "bad area" of an older city. Driving into Harlem or Camden or the like. I never felt that. But I did get a bit fearful when driving into Texarkana. It looks just like the rest of the country in most ways--complete with strip malls and fat roads and fast food and SUVs--but it still made me nervous and indefinably afraid for my safety. I thought at the time it was the longhorns on the street signs and bridges and the like, but I've seen that since without wavering, so I'm not convinced.

Third day also brought me into Austin. Austin is much bigger than I expected, actually. I looked it up; it has over 600,000 people in the city proper, and over a million in the metro area. Big. But nice. Nicer than expected. Hot, as expected. But big with character. Sure, sprawl and unchecked growth. But there was a kernel of interest there to start. Unlike, say, Phoenix. Or Dallas. Nice. Staying with my friend Heather. Went for dinner, drinks, and movie. Moviehouse called Alamo, and served beer.

Fourth day, went to San Antonio. Which is the home of the famed and rather unimpressive Alamo. And is home to a district called Riverwalk, which is this semi-subterranean riverside sidewalks with tourist trap shops and restaurants. Is much nicer in person than sounds. Is actually very beautiful. Also went to dinner and movie in evening. Nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home