Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Oscar nominations.

So I'm looking at the list of movies nominated for Academy Awards for 2004, and I'm realizing that I have yet to see any of the five tapped for best picture. Which might imply I'm not qualified to get angry that Eternal Sunshine is not present. Well I don't care. I'm sending out a big fuck you to the Academy anyway.

And I'm reiterating my belief that the only categories that actually matter are those for the screenplay. Everything else is secondary.

Which apparently means the ten best films of 2004 are:

The Aviator,
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,
Hotel Rwanda,
The Incredibles,
Vera Drake,
Before Sunset,
Finding Neverland,
Million Dollar Baby,
The Motorcycle Diaries, and
Sideways.

Of those I've actually so far seen (Eternal Sunshine, The Incredibles, and Before Sunset), I'd have to say these are good choices.

On another note, from what I've heard, Share Tale is awful, and Polar Express is bearable. So why tap the former?

And how on Earth were Very Long Engagement and Motorcycle Diaries overlooked in best foreign? [And when are we going to change the one-country-one-submission rule that kept out Bad Education?]

[And when are we going to change whatever rule it was that kept Fahrenheit 9/11 out?]

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe MMoore removed F9/11 from contention for best documentary and wanted it to be in for best picture, but it didn't get a nomination. I'm guessing the Academy likes his movie but just doesn't want his drama around the ceremony this year. - mwyz

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home