Thursday, September 02, 2004

SODA

SODA, this organization of which I am a member (the treasurer, actually), had its first meeting of the semester last night. We met at an "Italian" restaurant in Moscow, famed for its "ladder." The "ladder" is comprised of four beers of four sizes, ranging from sixteen fluid ounces to sixty-four fluid ounces. I did not order a "ladder;" I had class today.

So SODA--which stands for Sexual Orientation Diversity Alliance--is sort of a civil rights, GLBT support, social, educate-the-public, etc. group. I joined it in part because of its clever and eminently pronounceable acronym. I know what you're thinking: all acronyms are pronounceable. George Carlin already told me. But the vast majority of Americans, including the good folks at LexisNexis, seem to believe otherwise. And, unfortunately for the purists among us, if enough people butcher the language for long enough, the language stays that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home