Friday, September 10, 2004

Gateway

Warning: Never do business with Gateway Computers.

First, Gateway makes a shoddy product. The laptop I purchased from them last August is already on its last legs; I recognize computers are, generally, poorly built and not intended to last for years on end, but this is ridiculous. The battery, which when I first purchased lasted roughly 4 hours between charges, now lasts 2. The touchpad glitches. The fan runs constantly because it overheats, even when all I'm doing is running Word. The audio input crapped out. The shiny silver veneer is chipping away at various points. The computer shuts down without notice on occasion, and cannot be started up again without both unplugging and removing the battery. And, most recently, the A/C adapter stopped working temporarily.

It was this last thing that caused me to, stupidly, purchase a replacement from Gateway. I put in the order at around 4 PM Tuesday evening. I ordered "overnight" shipping, because I really cannot live without power for an extended period of time. However, being a reasonable fellow, I did not expect the A/C adapter Wednesday morning; I'm willing to allow them a day to process the order. I expected "overnight" to mean "over two nights." Look how reasonable I am!

So yesterday evening, after not receiving the package, I contacted Gateway to find out where my adapter is. This morning, I received a response.

"Christopher, upon researching, I have found that you have you have ordered for Extra 90 Watt Power Adapter 450SD4/450ROG/600YG2 on September 07, 2004. Our record shows that the shipping method on your order is overnight delivery service. I would like to inform you that the shipping method comes effective only when the order reaches the shipping department. Before that, every order follows an automated procedure, which cannot be expedited. Once your order is processed and ready to ship, it takes one business day to be delivered to you, if you have opted for overnight delivery. The estimated arrival date that you have received includes the processing time for the order and the time required for shipment of the order.

"Christopher, please note that your order is currently being processed. The estimated arrival date is September 16, 2004. Please note that this is an estimate and your order could arrive earlier or later than the date provided."

So if you order something "overnight" at Gateway on a Tuesday, you apparently can expect it around the Thursday of the following week.

I would find this extremely funny if I weren't paying $10 for the privilege of "overnight" delivery. And if I didn't have work to do for a week. And if I found everything extremely stupid and false extremely funny.

So I am hereby recommending not only that you don't buy computers from Gateway, but also don't do business with them at all, even if you currently have a Gateway. You'd be better off doing business with Crappy-Knock-Off-Components-R-Us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo wat up yodelling llama its me the man remember me ya we tight.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Crappy-Knock-Off-Components-R-Us".... in other words, the company I work for! What model gateway, I might be able to overnight you an ac adapter on monday from work. - molino

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home