Saturday, July 24, 2004

Democracy for America

I have a confession. I was a Howard Dean fan. From pretty early on. Certainly before anyone was calling Dean the presumptive nominee, which itself was before anyone actually voted in a primary. I was a Dean fan because, despite how portrayed in the media, Dean was a moderate. A fiscal moderate--who actually believed in figuring out where the money is going to come from (something neither Kerry nor Bush seems concerned with)--and a foreign policy moderate--who actually believed in waging war when necessary.

So after Dean dropped out and endorsed Kerry, and after Dean for America morphed into Democracy for America, I looked to see what there was for me to do. What have I leaned? Not much. DFA paints itself as an organization. It is not. It does not provide as many concrete goals or activities that individuals can accomplish. It is more of a way to meet like-minded individuals, and there you can figure out what to do. Fine. But it isn't even as effective as Meetup at accomplishing that very limited function. Oh well.

At first I was bothered by DFA's reference to its fora as "forums." So I checked. And Merriam-Webster agreed with the DFA folks. Apparently, the English language was butchered into allowing "forums" as an alternate pluralization so long ago that it is now an accepted form. Fuckers.

What next bothered me is that my suggestions regarding the Nader candidacy and gay marriage (look for posts by yllama) were not even addressed. I mean, what is wrong with these people that they don't even ridicule a stupid idea, or fawn over a good idea, or critique a flawed idea, or whatever you want to call it?

But then I became less of a whining bitch, and realized that no one cares about ideas. Especially when they are old hat. These people just want to bicker amongst themselves and accomplish nothing. Fine. But in the end, that is all I want to do as well. Bickering is what makes life worth living, no? So who am I to criticize, just because they want to bicker about something different?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home